Monday, December 5, 2011

The Waiting Game

Christmas in now in full swing around our house.  I can breathe a sigh of relief, at least a small one, because our shopping is done...still lots of wrapping, mailing and baking to do but somehow that seems managible.  For Katherine and Teddy...mostly Katherine...the endless wait for Santa's arrival has begun. While I'm wanted the calendar to add just a few more days, she'd be happy if Christmas arrived tomorrow.  I have to smile because I remember that feeling when I was her age.  Children really to remind you how magical this time of year can be.

Luckily, there's a few things around the house that are making the wait easier on her.  One is this:
Aunt Sue bought this for her when she only one.  It's a Hallmark ornament, more specifically, Santa's Ho Ho Hotline Cellphone.  As far as Miss K is concerned, it's her direct link to the big guy himself.  In fact when we were putting up the decorations, it was the first thing she asked for: "Where's my Santa phone?"  She presses the button, listens to the message and then tells Santa what's on her mind.

Of course, the lead up to Christmas around our house wouldn't be complete without multiple Advent calendars.  These are proving to be extremely helpful this year.  Now that Katherine can count well and is beginning to understand the concept of time better, she gets excited about opening the doors for each day.  She happily finds the appropriate number each evening.  And she is more than happy to help her brother in opening the doors on his calendars.  Each kid has not one, but TWO advent calendars.  First, there's the chocolate ones from Gram. C. This year she has declared that she likes the chocolate and so has been eating all of the days instead of handing them to Ted or myself (boooo).  Second there's these beautiful ones that Aunt Colleen found at the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

They are adorable.  Each day there is a new ornament to put on the tree.  Their so cool that I'm hoping to be able to save them for next year as well.   Definitely worth a purchase off the museum's online site, even if you just tuck it away for next year.

I thought that maybe this year, with the start of elementary school, her belief in Santa might start to wain a bit. Boy was I wrong, it's more intense than ever! In addition to the phone and the calendars, we've got "Elfie" our Elf on the Shelf. Katherine found a sled for him to sit in, to make his trip up the North Pole every night easier of course, and she's even moved that sled to the top of the stairs a couple of nights. Why? So that the sled can slide down the railing and right up into the sky! Come on now people! She got all upset when we were reading the book and it mentioned not touching Elfie so that his magic doesn't wear off. I reassured her that since she was helping Elfie with an appropriate transport vehicle that he and Santa wouldn't mind. Phew! Gotta keep in good graces, especially during crunch time!

1 comment:

The Grady Chronicles said...

Adorable! we are in full swing here too!