Monday, November 21, 2011

It's a clinger!

Never too early to start a Christmas Story references.

I keep telling myself that it’s a phase, much like the no sleeping was a (rather long) phase. He’ll grow out of it. But I reached my limit this weekend. It became unbearable at times. Teddy clinginess on me has really reached a pinnacle. Those two little legs attach to my hip and his right arm hooks itself around my arm as if to say “I’m not going anywhere.” Putting him down provokes screams. This weekend he would hardly let me out of his sight. Wonder why my posts are few and far between?  Cause I can't get near the computer without a child attached to me.

I should back up and say that it probably really started Thursday morning when I scored an impromptu dermatologist appointment for him. At 19 months, not only was he still not consistently sleep through the night, his cradle cap was as bad as ever. All our pedi-guided attempts at treatment had been unsuccessful at making any type of improvement so at the most recent wellness appointment our doctor suggested we head to a dermatologist. I finally broke down and called for the appointment on Wednesday fully expecting them to say “We’ll be able to see you in January”. Instead the receptionist told me that they had just had a couple of cancellations for the next day and I was welcome to take one if I was available. For anyone who has tried to get an appointment with a dermatologist you know this is a MAJOR score. Forward to Thursday morning when Teddy had a meltdown that Daddy and Katherine were leaving and Mommy and he were staying behind. “Bye Teddy, I have to go to Kindergarten!” Poor thing just bawled at the door. To distract him I got the bubbles down from the pantry and we blew bubbles for a bit. He even uttered his best attempt at the word…”bubba”. Cute moment that distracted him until we made our way over to the dermatologist who prescribed a whole new regimen for his head and body that we think is making a difference. Best question of the appointment: “Do you think he’s having trouble sleeping because of all of this?” HAHAHA! Lady, you don’t know the half of it. “Let me prescribe you an antihistamine to bring down the itching and help him sleep.” Why were we not at your office 6 months ago??????

So what does this all mean? For the rest of the weekend if I so much as let my tush hover over a chair a little boy came right over, grabbed my hand and led me to the pantry to get out the “bubbas”. And the hollering when I said no because 1. I didn’t feel like blowing any bubbas and 2. I really wanted to sit down for some peace and quiet (ha!). In fact, Teddy just plain preferred that I be up and at his beckon call all weekend long and he made it known. It gets bad when you can’t even make a quick run to the bathroom without having a child screaming at the other side of the door. That you won’t let Daddy take you out of your car seat if Mommy is there. I had a Pampered Chef show on Saturday evening and let me tell you, I was THRILLED to get out of the house. T.H.R.I.L.L.E.D. I arrived home to find out that he had been an all-around great kid for Ted. Wha??? Sunday was more of the same, minus an escape to a Pampered Chef show (and I don’t double book on weekends, why?). I collapsed into bed Sunday night.

It’s an interesting scenario, when I’m not around he’s wonderful (this has been confirmed by grandparents and daycare providers too). The minute I arrive on the scene he turns into a clingy, whiny mess. It’s not all bad mind you but there is a definite change in behavior. That boy’s got my number. And he’s cute, which doesn’t help my odds in this game. And I know I need to just put him down more and let him cry but at the end of the day when I’m tired I’d rather have him quiet and attached to me than listening to all the screaming and crying. I told Ted last night that there will come a time when I’ll have to beg him for so much as hug and I’ll miss my snuggly little boy. But right now I’d just like to be able to pee in peace without having to use decoys.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Peeing in peace is definitely not overrated!! I recently spent a few unseemly moments keeping Noah company while he "worked hard" to clean out his lower intestines all the while Addie is strapped to me in the wrap because she won't be put down either. Chica had a major blowout in the process...couldn't have spared me that pleasure huh?

The Grady Chronicles said...

I think I am going to pull a Teddy when I head back to work on Monday!