So you're probably wondering what else happened on my birthday? Ok, even if you're not, that's alright. I'll tell you anyways. I made the request in the morning to try my hand at swinging a golf ball. Afterall, it looks so easy on TV. And maybe hidden within this body is the next Michelle Wie (or Tiger Woods in Ted's case). So after some initial instruction at the house, we headed to the driving range:

Ok, so its not as easy as it looks. But you know what?
I liked it, I really really liked it. And this is coming from a person who typical avoids any sport involving a ball. I'm not good at them, I have never been good at them and no amount of instruction or practice has improved my abilities. The mere thought of being at bat makes my palms sweaty. But this, I think I could do. Probably because its an individual thing, if I hit the ball into the rough, that's my business, it doesn't matter to anyone else. And, being a psychologist, I realized that it's
operant conditioning in it's purest form. On Saturday, I probably learned about negative reinforcement more than anything.
Ted and I brought home some of his grandfather's old golf clubs. No, not state of the art by today's standards and not sized especially for me but they'll get us started. Other than the backyard though, I don't know when the next time we'll get the opportunity to head to a driving range around us. We'll have to see.
And a cute Katherinism for the day. "I have spots!" Translation: freckles
No comments:
Post a Comment