Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Furniture Dilemma

We had an unexpected wake up at 2:30 this morning. Poor Miss K. had thrown up. We've become real experts at this, so we went right to action with the clean up, I got Katherine in a nice warm tub while Ted stripped her bed. We were lucky, the damage was not too bad and even better there was no lingering smell for this episode (God I hate that smell). Of course after the bath (and another episode in the tub) K. was wide awake so I stayed up with her for a bit for some late night Noggin and Andy Pandy action. I'm home with her today as well. Right now the plan is for me to go into work tomorrow instead of today since tomorrow was my day off and for K. to go back to preschool, provided she feels better. However, I am watching things closely, I have a feeling Miss K. and I will be making a trip to work after her nap to pick up some things for me to work on some from home tomorrow instead.

For those that are checking their calendars, you may notice that we're exactly a week away from Thanksgiving and about a year ago Miss K. had the same sort of ailment. I was blessed to come down with it myself right on Thanksgiving Day (after dinner but BEFORE pumpkin pie). In fact, this family (primarily me) was sick for every major holiday the last go around (I'm talking T-day, Christmas AND Easter). We're are hoping that we don't have a repeat this year, so we'll be taking it easy over the next week to ensure we are all healthy not only for T-day but also for Kristen's wedding next Saturday! Katherine won't be travel to the wedding but instead spending the weekend with Papa and Gram Coberly.

This weekend won't go by without a little Christmas preparation however. I am going to put our outside lights up. I was hoping for a warmer weekend to do this but I don't think that's going to happen. We won't turn them on until after T-day however, this is the best opportunity to get it done, since we won't be home from our travels until the Monday after T-day. I also plan on getting the decorations down from the attic and just stacking them in the guest bedroom. With a toddler in the house I've learned that decorating takes place little by little over a couple of days rather than one big gusto. So this way I'll be all prepared to start as soon as we get home.

Which leads me to the following question: Where to put our Christmas tree this year? Traditionally for the last 4 Christmases in the house we've put the tree in the open spot right next to the fireplace:This place is easy because it requires no rearranging of furniture. However Ted has always mentioned that it would nice if we could put our tree in our front window. For the past 4 years I've told him that we can put the tree where ever he wants provided he moves the furniture. So the tree has always stayed in the same spot. Last weekend though, I was sitting in the living room thinking that maybe it was time to move things around. I love rearranging furniture but our house offers little options in some of the rooms as far as furniture placement goes. See the pictures of our living room below (sorry that they came out kind of dark, they don't do the wall color justice at all):
I've tried to arrange them so that your going around the room in a circle. As you can see three of the walls have big windows and one has three doorways. Then there's the location of the fireplace. That really limits furniture placement. So a challenge to all of our readers out there. Figure out a way to arrange our furniture so that the Christmas tree fits in our front window that also is aesthetically pleasing (I'm not putting furniture just anywhere). Or come up with another alternative place for the Christmas tree. I would probably move the furniture around this weekend in preparation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've been getting our sickness out of the way early as well. Papa Ted came back from Ohio with a terrible cold. I thought he had picked it up at GG Hamilton's party, but no-one else seemed to have gotten it. Monday it hit me, and I'm just now feeling human again. We talked to Kathleen today and learned that she and Scott both have had it, caught it from Baby John. I'm not sure why but these pass alongs from youngsters seem much worse than things I've had in the last 20 years. We're looking forward to a healthier holiday this year. Gram Jan

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone feels shipshape soon!

hmmm...

I would move the loveseat to the left of the fireplace, and bring the toybox to a different room for the holiday season.

Then I would shift the sofa to where the loveseat had resided (right of fireplace), opening the space in the windows at the front of the house for the tree.

The other idea would be to move the loveseat to the wall across from where it currently is (where the armoir sp? is) and have the sofa where the loveseat is. That would mean you'd need to find a home for the armoir ...perhaps in the front hall with xmas decorations on top?!

Bryn