Thursday, October 30, 2008

Deer Burgers

As some of you may have noticed from Ted’s comment yesterday, I did leave out a detail from our Tuesday night, not intentionally though. Our neighbor John called us in the midst of the Big Potty Moment and asked me if I liked deer meat. I had to be truthful and say that well, I’ve never had deer meat before, to which he responded that he had just made up some burgers, half deer meat, half beef and would we be interested in a couple? Well, as many of you know I am not brave when it comes to trying new foods. Ted however will give most things a try. So I handed the phone to Ted who promptly said that yeah, a couple of burgers sounded good. A few minutes later John was at our door step with two freshly grilled burgers all made up with cheese and a bun. To which a conversation ensued between the two of them about how unadventurous I am with trying new foods. Well, what was I do but “belly up” and try a bite of the burger? I didn’t even put ketchup on it first, usually a must for me. In all honesty, it was a pretty good burger; I could not taste what some describe as a “gamey” flavor, probably because it was 50/50 beef and deer. However, in my mind I had a tough time overcoming the fact that I was eating deer. I don't know how brave I would be to try a full out deer burger. Ted didn’t have that problem at all, he dug right in. In fact, he took my burger for lunch the following day.

So thanks go out to our neighbor John in expanding our palettes a bit. I’m not sure that it will become a frequent part of my diet but it once again proves that trying new things isn’t so bad!

We’ve also had two nights in a row with the potty! You go Miss K.!

No comments: