So why not head back to the beginning of Summer!?! I left you all hanging at the start of our WDW trip in June. It's time to start give you the details! I'll break it up into a few posts because there's a lot to share.
For this trip down we decided to drive most of the way on Saturday and stay just below St. Augustine. This worked well for us on Marathon weekend and it was also a success this trip. We arrived at
Disney Springs on Sunday morning just before opening…first stop was the Art of Disney to get my
latest Mary Blair print. This was a priority for me so we were waiting outside the door before it even opened. Which was nice because we got a chance to stroll around before the crowds. I highly recommend this for getting a good look at the new Disney Springs. I picked out a print from Cinderella this time that I have since framed and absolutely love now that I realize it will be perfect in our new bathroom! After that we strolled through the Co-Op, World of
Disney, and a few other stores before hitting T-Rex right when it opened. We had planned on dining there Wednesday evening
but decided to give it a shot on Sunday since we needed to eat lunch
somewhere.
Atmosphere was really cool,
we sat in the Ice Cave. Food was
surprisingly good, although it was slooowww to arrive. I’ll chalk it up to us being there right when
it opened. We were probably among the
first rush of orders to arrive all at once in the kitchen
I got a text during lunch that our room was ready so out
of there and over to Yacht Club! I give
this hotel high marks. The location was ideal because it was walking distance to Epcot and even Hollywood Studios. If it was just Ted and I we would have walked to HS but with the kids it was the boat and even that was quick. We would definitely look at staying here again…even over a Monorail Resort.
We were fortunate enough, thanks to our vacation planner Kerri, to score a discount on a CLUB Level room and it was everything everyone said it would be...absolutely wonderful. Breakfast, afternoon snacks, evening dessert and free booze. What’s not to like? We made full use of the club lounge, even used the heavy appetizers as dinner for two of the nights. Seriously, you could roll on out of there if you weren’t careful. And Ted was all about the free beer. I didn’t go heavy on the booze myself but they did have Angry Orchard Hard Cider, which is a favorite. Then wine in the evening and even some dessert booze late night.
Teddy's favorite seat in the lounge, doing what Young Chet does best:
Since we upgraded our room after I had booked our dining, I didn't use the advance planning
services available to club level to their full potential. However the concierge staff was really nice for the couple of questions we had during the trip. What else?
Room was great, pretty much your standard deluxe Disney room. Beds were comfy, balcony nice and I liked that the room opened to a
hallway and not outside. We were down
the hall a bit from the lounge which was great for the noise level. I would NOT want one of the rooms near the
lounge.
The highlight of the hotel for the kids?? The POOL! Stormalong Bay (as it is called) is the best hotel pool at Disney, hands down. We were there every day, usually twice
a day! The slide was fun for kids and adults but I think the favorite was the huge sand bottom kiddie pool. Perfect for Teddy who was just learning to swim.
We went to Beaches and Cream for dinner Sunday night and it was a lot of fun. I have to admit my dining choices weren't as stellar this trip and they were for our last one but this was one of the highlights. We didn't order The Kitchen Sink Sundae but the booth next to us did and it was delivered with all of the fanfare. Wow!
Monday was our big Epcot Day. It was also Ted's birthday. He went out for an early morning run during which time I snuck downstairs for his Birthday Button and got his gift out. He loved the shirt and wore it that day but was not game for wearing the button at the park.
Of we went to the International Gateway! We headed straight to Joy and Sadness in Innoventions because you cannot fastpass them (and we already had our fastpasses lined up). While I was in line for J&S Ted took them across the way to meet Baymax who had a very short line. They were through that in about 10 minutes and then back in line with me.
Of we went to the International Gateway! We headed straight to Joy and Sadness in Innoventions because you cannot fastpass them (and we already had our fastpasses lined up). While I was in line for J&S Ted took them across the way to meet Baymax who had a very short line. They were through that in about 10 minutes and then back in line with me.
J&S were a lot of fun. Katherine wore an inside out shirt with J&S on it and Joy noticed right away. They really were true to their characters. I’d say we were in and out of there in about 30 minutes for both Baymax and J&S but I didn’t really keep a close eye on my watch.
Our first fastpass was for Spaceship at 9:30 so we went there right after the characters. Somewhere in the character line my glasses
happened to break. The screw in one of
the arm hinges fell off when I was switching from my sunglasses to
glasses. LUCKILY the screw was in the
case and I was VERY careful to tuck the case away and not use it for the rest
of the day. I thought I would be ok
without the screw since the arm fit rather snugly in the hinge but I found out
walking off of Spaceship Earth that this was not the case as I almost lost the
arm completely. Thankfully someone
behind me saw it and picked it up before anyone stepped on it or it got lost
forever. Note to self, bring spare
pair of glasses on trips from now on.
Thank goodness for prescription sunglasses! I used those for the rest of
the day, unless it was really dark, in which case I looked like a dork and put
on my one arm frames, which fit rather crookedly on my face. I can see ok without my glasses but it gets a
bit uncomfortable, especially in dim light when I have to read something
(talking to you Coral Reef Restaurant menu). When
we got back to the hotel I was able to put the screw back in using the side of
a barrette as a screwdriver (they didn’t have a tiny screwdriver anywhere at
the hotel) and then put a piece of clear tape over it just in case. Good to go for the rest of the trip.
So anyways, after Spaceship Earth (other than the glasses
incident, which really didn’t interfere much) we headed over to Imagination. I’m always quite outspoken about how this
version of Imagination is in no way, shape or form equivalent to the
original. But I have to say, on this
trip, it did nudge up a bit in its appeal in my heart. I did find myself singing along to the song
and I love the final scene. It was already on my “to do” list to buy a
Figment doll and we walked out with two small ones because, well, two kids,
need I saw more?
We spent some time at the jumping fountain after the ride where I got one of my favorite photos of the trip. Teddy started waving to the monorail as it drove by. I have a sequence of pictures of this and they among my favorite photos from the trip.
Off to
The Seas! This was a favorite last time
and it was this time, although I found on this trip that Katherine got bored
quicker. I chalk it up to age, which
brings a tear to my eye thinking of the little girl running around looking at
all of this fish our last trip. Don’t
get me wrong, she had fun, but a bit of the wonder and amazement was gone. We were able to catch the diver show and the
manatee talk but I have to admit that I was a sleeper on fastpasses for Turtle Talk and the
wait was too long. My kids will probably
be 20 by the time I think to go in there.
Coral Reef for lunch.
Honestly? It was ok. We were seated up high, so not up close and
personal to the tanks, which I wanted. All those tables were full, so I
couldn’t even request it. So the kids were interested for a bit but then only
here and there as something swam by. It probably would have been smart to plan this for BEFORE going through The Seas, not after. Service
was great and up to usual Disney standards but food was just decent, good but not out of this world for what we
paid for it. I expected more. Glad we checked it out but wouldn’t do it
again. I am sure my opinion would be
different had we been seated right in front of the tank.
After lunch we split up.
We had a Test Track Fastpass but Teddy suddenly decided he didn’t want
to do it and Ted had never planned to do it in the first place. So K and I headed to TT while the boys went
over to The Land to go on the boat ride through the greenhouses (Teddy’s
request).
K LOVED Test Track and her car design came in first place!
We met back up with the boys at the model car display and then wandered over to World Showcase. We didn’t linger too long at any one country because the kids were getting hot and we could tell it was pool time. However we did watch the Mariachi band in Mexico (it was so cute, the kids right over and sat down as soon as they say the band was about to start).
Then we moved on to the miniature trains in Germany (Teddy wanted to linger a lot longer than Katherine) AND just happened to get to America just as a whole bunch of characters came out in the alley!!! We went for the ones the kids didn’t have autographs for already, so that meant they did Mr. Smee and Rabbit first and then Goofy (already had his but he’s a favorite). Chip and Dale, Donald, and Mickey (!!) were there too but the kids were getting hot and weren’t interested. We walked back to the hotel and retreated to the pool for a good chunk of the rest of the day.
K LOVED Test Track and her car design came in first place!
We met back up with the boys at the model car display and then wandered over to World Showcase. We didn’t linger too long at any one country because the kids were getting hot and we could tell it was pool time. However we did watch the Mariachi band in Mexico (it was so cute, the kids right over and sat down as soon as they say the band was about to start).
Then we moved on to the miniature trains in Germany (Teddy wanted to linger a lot longer than Katherine) AND just happened to get to America just as a whole bunch of characters came out in the alley!!! We went for the ones the kids didn’t have autographs for already, so that meant they did Mr. Smee and Rabbit first and then Goofy (already had his but he’s a favorite). Chip and Dale, Donald, and Mickey (!!) were there too but the kids were getting hot and weren’t interested. We walked back to the hotel and retreated to the pool for a good chunk of the rest of the day.
What else did we do that day? Pin trading. Before our trip I had bought a small lot of trading pins from EBay. Originally the kids had told me that they weren't interested in pin trading, just collecting. I bought a small lot of 10 pins, just in case. Turns
out the kids loved it and I wish now I had bought a larger pin lot for them on
EBay. They really only did it the first
day or so and here and there after that because they didn’t want to trade out
all of their pins. Part of this is
because the pin lot I bought (10 pins) turned out to be a REALLY good lot and
the kids found keepers in them. Two 2016
dated pins. A Tinkerbell themed pin, a
Chip pin. So each of them was down to 3
tradeable pins after they decided to keep those. I tried my best not to influence their trades
and let them choose what they wanted. It
was hard because there were a few good ones that they weren’t
interested in. It is their pin
collections and not mine. Another thing
we spotted was a Survey Marker (and Teddy turned down a Survey Marker pin trade
with a CM!), this one in front of the old Odyssey Restaurant. Turns out Survey Marker finding is another big thing that people do at the World. Ted and I found it interesting but the kids
were probably too young to get into it.
Hobby for a future trip perhaps?
So after characters the kids practically raced back to the hotel to get in the pool. Again, hotel location was key here! Kids did the arcade in the evening but had no interest in
going back to a park. With all the walking and then swimming hard
at the pool, they were pooped by about 7:30 each night. We stuck to their regular bedtime all week
and I think that paid off in dividends.
Not that they were angels 100% of the time but we avoided the miserable
meltdowns that I saw from other kids by going at their speed and just enjoying our time.
Day 2 coming soon!














No comments:
Post a Comment