Friday, July 8, 2016

The Great Bathroom Renovation: The Before

Lest you think we were going to let an entire kid free month go by without ANY home improvement.  HA!  Of course not.  The first activity was a repaint of our kitchen.  Goodbye green, hello crisp blue!  The color change is very refreshing and once I have new curtains picked out and hung I'll share some more pictures (beyond what I already shared on Facebook).  I'd like to paint our dining and living rooms as well but that will have to wait until I pick out a color, I'm a bit undecided at the moment.  In the meantime we'll embark on what is probably the biggest home improvement project we have ever done, a complete remodel of our master bathroom!  This will not be a DIY project, we've contracted with Lowes Home Improvement.  So far the process has been easy and seamless but I know all that could change once the first hammer gets swung next week!

I would not be a good blogger without the obligatory before pictures.  Our house was built 17 years ago and the bathroom was very much builder's grade.  Originally it had beautiful striped wallpaper and two toned fixtures throughout...very 1999.  When Katherine was a toddler I painstakingly stripped the wallpaper, repaired the walls as best I could, and painted.  We also replaced the light fixtures.  That was it.  Seven years later, it is looking tired and in need of an update.

Feast your eyes...

Our plans?  Well, just about everything you see is going.  Only the toilet and those light fixtures are coming back in.  New vanity, tile, tub, and shower.  We've also decided to not install a tub with jets.  They are too hard to clean and maintain.  Basically a breeding ground for mildew.

Instead we are going for a very bright, clean look.  Think Subway tile, whites, light blues, and grays.  The vanity will incorporate some wood tones.  Here's a very inspiration pics from my Pinterest board to give you an idea.





I'll be sure to take progress pictures along the way!  The workers will be starting this coming Tuesday and we've heard that at least the demolition part will move quickly.  Ted and I have already moved into the hall (ducky) bathroom and after this weekend we'll be sleeping the guest room for the duration.  Fun times!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(Gram) Our project got off to a delayed start as the crew chief injured his ankle playing Frisbee. Demo started yesterday with everything gone except the floor. Good luck!