Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pondering

I have been pondering about this blog post for a better part of a week or more.  Working through different sentences in my head.  Not that that's going to make this any better of a piece of literature.  But then, if you came here for great literature, proper grammar or good spelling you're about to be horribly dissappointed.

Hey there!  Long time no see.  As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm also staring at the "Wake County Public School System 2011-2012 Traditional Calendar" which is pinned on the board next to my monitor. It's about to go in the trash because this year is done. We dropped Katherine off this morning for her last day of Kindergarten.  Let me repeat..last day of KINDERGARTEN.  This is hitting me today.  For some reason if you say your child is a kindergartener is makes you feel like you still have a bit of your baby there.  We're only one year removed from preschool, they don't even sit in rows of desks yet.  But as of this afternoon, we'll have a budding first grader in our house.  That doesn't sound babyish at all.  And honestly, she's not, she's a little girl.  But wow, where did this school year go?  I'm not sure I'm settled into the whole elementary school routine yet and here she is finishing the first year of it.  About time I start getting with the program.
I took this picture this morning on our way out to the car...I didn't realize she blinked.  I wanted to get a shot of her heading off to her last day of school just like we have photos of her first day.  She has grown!  Katherine now has quite an opinion on her fashion choices and these days she seems to be preferring skirts over shorts.  Which is why she went "hiking" with us over the weekend wearing this:

That is her favorite outfit right now.  Top and skirt don't match one bit but she doesn't care. I let her wear it on the weekends because really, how many years of your life do you have to truly wear whatever you want no matter if it matches or not?  That's right.  And just look at that cuteness happily standing next to his big sister!  Those little legs kept up with her the whole day.


We're getting more words little by little.  I wouldn't describe him as a talker just yet but he is able to get his point across about what he wants fairly easily.  A man of few words, if you will.  Ask him a yes or no question and he'll response with a high pitched "uh HUH!"  What does he put his "oose" in?  A "up"  (that's juice and cup).  We've got "Daaeee" and "Mama", "Katherine" is challenging him.  And we even have "paweee" (potty) and he will sit on it.  He's been successful in that effort twice, one at school and once at home, although we all pretty sure we caught him at the right time.  Right now he's getting the order of things out of whack, meaning he goes in his diaper, walks in to the bathroom, flushes and then sits down but we're pretty sure he'll figure it out all in due time...afterall the kid's not going to kindergarten his diapers is he?

1 comment:

Gram C said...

Your posts have been missed. Gram C