OK, so two Sundays ago now (!) Katherine and I drove up to Richmond to see The Lion King with Gram Coberly. What a fun girls day and much needed by the two of us after a week cooped up in the house. We'll gloss over getting stuck in a VCU parking garage and having to have campus security come and let us and our car out and my minor meltdown in the process (which I am sure has already been posted on You Tube by some security person with a poor sense of humor)...and say that the trip up went nice and smooth and we arrived in time for a quick lunch at Chili's before the show. Phew!
The weather that day was cold and snowy. Probably the only snow that we'll see this winter. In preparation I dressed Katherine in boots and hats and mittens, which slowed her walking speed down but provided an adorable photo opportunity:


The show was spectacular. There were a number of times where the actors came out into the audience and I think these times were a favorite of Katherine's. I was a bit apprehensive that she would burn out before the end of the show or complain that it was too loud, in light of her past experience at such things. The noise didn't bother her one bit and while she was a bit tired near the end she was just fine throughout the show.
After the show, a "quick" walk down to the Jefferson Hotel for tea! I put quick in quotes because I think the walk was on the long side for Katherine, who was wearing boots that are nice and warm but also a bit big on her. But she made it and had a great time pouring tea for Gram and I.



Needless to say, Katherine fell asleep fairly soon after we got back on the highway and slept the entire way home. She was pooped. Which means she missed all of the white knuckle driving on a snowy, untreated I-95 in Southern VA. Ahhh, to be 5 and blissfully unaware of the real danger of sliding off the road into a ditch. But we arrived home safe and sound! Katherine happily wore her Lion King hat into daycare the next day (school vacation)...bragging rights had been earned and she happily accepted them.
Hakuna Matata everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment