Wednesday, March 3, 2010

No Phone Home

In my rush to head home from a meeting with a co-worker in one of other offices today I left my cell phone on her desk. I realized this pretty quickly but I was unfortunately already in the turn lane to get onto the Beltline and there was no easy way of turning around. The phone would have to wait until the morning. My first thought was "Oh I'll call Annette (co-worker) and tell her that I'll pick up the phone in the morning." DUH! My next thought was that I'd email her and tell her the same thing. DUH! Without the phone, I wasn't doing anything. I couldn't even call Ted to tell him to pick up Katherine instead of me (allowing me time to turn around and pick up the phone) because DUH, no phone. No real option except to continue on my way and email Annette when I got home. So I'm spending the night without my beloved iPhone.

Now truthfully, the odds of me needing to use the phone at home tonight were slim. And really I have no pressing need to use it first thing tomorrow morning. I have no scheduled meetings in the morning so running up to that office to pick it up is no problem. And I know the phone is safe and sound right now in a locked office. So why do I feel like I've lost my right arm? I guess this is a sad statement on how dependent we've become on all this great technology. I drove very carefully on the way home with the thought in the back of my mind that if I got into an accident, there was no way to let anyone know. I'm sure I'll have the same thought in my mind on my way in tomorrow morning.

No comments: