Saturday, March 6, 2010

Costco and Trader Joe's

I forgot to update that my iPhone was back in my hands, safe and sound the following morning. It was sitting on Annette's desk, right where I left it. All is right with the world.

So the weekend. It looks like Spring has finally started to arrive around here. I know our temps and snowfall aren't anything like what's been happening up North but it still has been an unusually cold winter around these parts and everyone is ready for a change. Papa and Gram Coberly came down for a quick visit (and to drop off a very special item that deserves it's own blog post later on this week) and Katherine delighted in having two very attentive playmates.

Ted and I ventured out Saturday afternoon to Costco and a first ever trip to Trader Joe's. Let's start with Costco. We were members of Sam's Club and I've been feeling the need for a change. Plus I've become a big fan of Costco store brand diapers and it looks like we'll be needing a lot of those in the not so distant future. Ted's parents visiting offered us a rare opportunity to head out on our own (although I am told by my parents that Katherine loves Costco, especially all the food samples). I can tell you with full confidence that it was the first and last time we'll go to Costco at 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon. Oh my goodness, it was packed. PACKED. We decided to just grab the membership materials, take a quick walk around and head right back out. Since you can sign up online, we decided we'll go that route and head back there as soon as they open one Saturday morning.

Since having children our whole shopping schedule has changed, we're usually through the store and gone before most people are dressed for the day. We've become quite snotty about crowds, traffic and stores that open later than 8am on a Saturday. When your kid is up and ready go by 6am you're looking for something to do by 8. And really there's no need in our mind for a store to be open late in the evening, especially when bedtime hits our house around 8pm. Funny how perspectives change. I also think we're still stuck in the mindset that you need be home by lunchtime for that all important afternoon nap. Katherine doesn't take naps anymore but her soon to arrive baby brother will. Why change now?

Ok, Costco down, on to Trader Joe's. Honestly, I didn't know a thing about the place and I was curious. I've heard random comments here and there about certain items being rather tasty, some of them in the chocolate category, so what's not to like? This trip taught me that, as with Costco, Saturday afternoon is NOT the time to saunter down the isles at Trader Joe's. I was able to gather rather quickly that the place was filled with organic type foods but unless I knew specifically what I was there for, there was no hope. I must say it was MUCH smaller than I expected. So if I go back, it will probably be on my own, at a different time of day AND with a list of things to check out. Any suggestions?

No comments: