Saturday, November 28, 2009

"I Don't Like Santa Claus"

We had a great Thanksgiving in Virginia at Papa and Gram Coberly's house.  There was turkey eating, playground time, Black Friday shopping, scrapbooking and just plain relaxing time.  Katherine had a ball with Papa and Gram as well as Aunt Carrie and Great Grandma Hamilton.  Ted and I had some rare time to just sit around and do nothing...we actually got a bit bored which felt WONDERFUL.

The Salvation Army was holding a Breakfast with Santa at the local Applebee's this morning, so everyone headed over before Ted, Katherine and myself headed back to NC.  If you caught one on my Twitter/Facebook posts from a week or two ago you'll remember that I was on the lookout for this type of event after recalling my fond memories of Breakfast with Santa growing up. We'll just say that the guest of honor was not impressed one bit with Santa.  She was fine with checking him out from a distance while she enjoyed her pancakes but when time came for a personal hello...

Things didn't go so well.  What the photo didn't capture was her clinging to me before and after her lap time.  She was terrified.  I thought it would be ok if I stood right next to her while the picture was taken.  Not so much.  The lady at photo table was going to give me the picture for free but I made a donation anyways, after all this will join the collection with the Santa pictures from previous years. And as an aside, do you think they could have picked a better spot in the restaurant for the Santa pics???  The Miller Lite sign in the back really makes the picture look festive.

What she did love, from the second she caught sight of it was the "choo choo train".  In fact that's pretty much what she talked about all through breakfast.  "I don't like Santa Claus, I want to go on the choo choo train."  We had to keep assuring her that after breakfast she would get her turn on the train.  It really brighted her mood after the disastorous visit with Santa.



On the way South on I-95 Katherine was pouting in the car.  I asked her what was wrong.  "I don't like Santa Claus." In light of this experience, I think we'll skip visiting Santa at the mall this year. I have a feeling the photo outcome would be exactly the same.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Poor Katherine! We are skipping Santa at the mall this year too, no available H1N1 vaccines here yet and I would rather keep my otherwise healthy little man away from the swarms of germy little people! Perhaps a bit of paranoia in me, but we spend enough time sick and I don't treasure the Santa pictures enough to make up for it.