Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Little Miss Tattle Tale

I actually had to look through the list of blog posts to make sure I wasn't repeating a title because I swear this is similar to something I've written before. I guess it's bound to happen ...sooner or later I'll repeat myself.

In the ever evolving world of a three year old, Miss K. discovered that the "I need" tactic of a few weeks ago just wasn't working for her. What's a girl to do? Well, if you're K. you'll modify your tactic and simply become a tattle tale. After all, if the other party is doing something deemed "naughty", well action has to be taken to remedy the situation, right? Take last night's scenario:

K: Daddy, I want a snack. (this was said as she opened the refrigerator to check out her options and grab her milk)
D: No Katherine, I'm making dinner. It will be ready soon. Please shut the fridge.
K: Moooommmmmmmy! (with chin down and lower lip out) Daddy's not getting me a snack.

Variations of the this include "Daddy/Mommy's not sharing", "Daddy/Mommy's not taking turns" and my personal favorite of recent weeks..."Daddy bit me!" Daddy didn't bite her, it was the other way around and she was extra upset when not only did she not get her way but we also had a little heart to heart about lying...and biting. Mind you, in last night's scenario I am standing right there in the kitchen, witnessing all of these events. I don't think Katherine realizes that part of proper "tattling" (and she'll need to learn this with a younger sibling on the way) is to ensure that the party that you're tattling to did not actually see (or hear in the case of the biting) the event, ensuring that the "tattler" will be believed. All in due time I guess. As with "I need", she's becoming increasingly frustrated that this tactic doesn't seem to be working for her.

All this made me think of the Mr. Men/Little Miss books. I had no idea they still sold them! Think they have a Little Miss Tattle Tale?

Room rearranging update...the new guest room is ready! Ok, ok, I still have put up the pictures and hang the curtains but that's small potatoes. I'll finish that and pick out the paint color for K's new Big Girl Room this weekend!

1 comment:

mccashew said...

The lying is crazy isn't it!?!

I have VIVID memories of my brother not getting his way, slapping HIMSELF across the face and then running to my mother to tell her that I hit him! I think it is best to keep a low profile when you witness these lies in action. It might save one of your kids a lot of time sitting on the naughty step. =)