Buddy the Cat's going to have wait for one more post. This morning has been a crazy little adventure. Things started off alright, got up, got dressed, headed out the door. Ted has to cover the phones at work this afternoon so we drove separately (thankfully!).
Things started when we got to daycare. Katherine fell as she was getting out of the car. I think her foot got caught and she tumbled out. Hit her elbow, knee and finally her head on the concrete. The two second moment of silence and then screaming and crying. It all seemed to happen in slow motion for me. I scooped her up and started checking her over, no visible damage. By the time we got to the room she had stopped the major crying but I sat with her a bit before I left. There's a minor scrape on her knee and elbow and a bruise on her forehead but other than that she's fine. I think it scared her (and me!) more than anything. I left her snuggling under her blankie with Ms. Anna. A call about an hour later to check found her happy and playing with her friends and none worse for the wear. My day was spent but her's seemed to be just fine. Phew!
Until...about two hours later I got the call. When the daycare number pops up on the caller ID you always take a deep breath and say a prayer before you answer. The director called to tell me that it looked like Katherine might have the chicken pox. They'd had a couple of cases in the last week and of course Katherine was playing with those kids before they got sick (far be it for her not to be in on the action). I needed to come and pick her up. So in preparation for a few days home (I was hoping that since she was vaccinated it would a mild case) I gathered up some work to take home and headed out the door.
I checked her over when I got there and other than a little spot on her chin, I honestly didn't see anything. The teachers mentioned taking to her to the doctor to confirm it which I was not in favor of (really?! the doctor's office for the chicken pox? I don't think there's anything they could do.). However, they had also spotted the wart that was on her pinky and said that it was contagious and needed to be taken care of before she could come back. So...next door to the doctor's office we went (I am now so thankful that our pedi is co-located with the daycare, what a time saver!) where the doctor verified that Katherine did NOT have chicken pox.
She also froze off that wart. Now I have never had this done myself but I have heard that it hurts. But it was either that or multiple days at home while we took care of it ourselves. Needless to say, Miss K was less than thrilled with the procedure. It was quick but not quick enough, by the end she was crying "I wanna go home!!!" and I was wondering why every trip to the doctor this past year has to be like this (the tooth, the burn, the Lyme test, the wart...what next?). And while we were there she took a quick look at her head and confirmed that she was fine (hey, why not? I already forked over the copay, might as well get my money's worth!). At this point I wouldn't be surprised if I was on the watch list for social services with them. We stopped back by the daycare to let them know of the false alarm and then went home. I guess I could have dropped her back off and gone back to work but she was still pretty upset...I thought she (and I) had been through enough for one day. Buddy the Cat ran right over and greeted us when we pulled up.
Right now we're watching Noggin and making button tea. We'll try again tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment