Wednesday, July 1, 2009

There you are!

Katherine’s eyes got a bit big this morning when Papa and Gram gave her a kiss goodbye right before they started their drive back up I-95. Huh? You people are leaving? Really? Who’s gonna play with me in my pool today? She also had no interest in heading back to “Miss Yolanda’s House” (her consistent name for daycare/preschool no matter how much we tell her that Miss Yolanda does not actually live there). In fact she was ready to climb into Daddy’s bed to watch a bit of Noggin until I asked if she wanted to play in the playground at school. That did it. I can’t say she was thrilled at drop off but we’ve had worse ones, there were no tears. Besides on Friday morning, we’re headed up to Papa and Gram Coberly’s house so the next two evenings will be filled with laundry and packing. She won’t be without constant admirers for long. Of course this did little to appease her this morning because let’s face it; we’re not heading up to their house RIGHT NOW!

Lately her game of choice is Hide and Seek. She wants to play it EVERYWHERE, including the car. I know what you’re thinking. How does one play hide and seek in a moving car? Simple, you throw your blankie over you, ask Mommy and Daddy to count to ten and viola! You can see where I’m going here. Katherine is absolutely no good at hide and seek. She doesn’t understand the concept of hiding (which is a good thing right now) nor the concept that once you hide you’re supposed to stay quiet until your seeker finds you. When we’re at home, we’ll yell out “Katherine, where are you???” Usually we’ll get a response… “I’m under the covers!!” I think part of the enjoyment of the game is us pretending we don’t know where she is (this gets old mighty quick) and then lifting off the covers or throwing open the closet door… “There you are!!!” Which prompts an immediate response of “You gotta count to ten!!” Meaning, let’s start this game all over again. Papa and Gram Coberly, be prepared!

No comments: