Wednesday, June 17, 2009

That's Mr. Dad to you...

Not trying to start any wars or anything but I came across this video during lunch today and I had to share.

Mr. Mom

This touched off a whole host of thoughts in my head. I guess the main one is...why is this such a big deal? These families are doing what they need to do, making decisions that they feel is best for their families. Leave them alone. Today Show, why this tone of..."Oh, how unfortunate for you big guy, you have to stay home with the kids, what a big man you are stepping up to the plate." To say that these Dads "are forced" to stay home with the kids (but you're quick to add..."sometimes they choose to") is a bit out of line. A mom "chooses" but a Dad is "forced"? I thought in 2009 (since that Mr. Mom movie is over 25 years old) we had gotten past notion that Dad needs an award every time he changes a diaper but clearly the reporter that interviewed these Dads thought differently. Oh and one more thing, why does Today have a forensic psychologist commenting on this?????

I guess this seems like a foreign concept to me because Ted and I pretty much equally split up the household and child raising duties. If something needs to get done, it gets done by whoever is available to do it. Alright we do have stuff that one person tends to do more than the other (cooking and vacuuming...Ted cleaning the bathrooms...me) and some things that each one of us is better at than the other (we won't be specific on that) but there's no major identity crisises going on if say, I need to go out and mow the lawn or Ted has to give Katherine a bath. Ok, maybe its that way because we both work but really I don't think so.

Alright, I'll get off my high horse. Back to data analysis.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

I totally agree. It's not called babysitting when it's your own kid, either--it's called parenting! You signed up for it when you decided to have a child.