Saturday, May 23, 2009

Doctor Update

One more update before the cute post. I took K. to the doc yesterday for the Lyme check. Let me just say I left the office feeling like I was crazy. Did she get the Lyme Titer? Yes but the doctor made sure to patronize me in the process. I am very thankful that I saw the doctor in Massachusetts (where Lyme Disease is extremely prevalent) who armed me with the information I needed. Had we waited and just gone to the doc down here I don't think we would have gotten the test.

I explained the whole situation to the doctor who was sitting in a chair in the room giving me this I'll hear the lady out but I already have my opinion type look. I made sure to mention that the doctor in Mass. had faxed down his notes (per request) but I'm not sure they were ever looked at even though I verified that they did arrive at the office. I explained that the rash had gone away (as the doctor in Mass told me it might) but that he still recommended she get the Lyme Titer, just to be safe. This doc's reply? "Well, I disagree with that." He asked if the doc in Mass had given the test or any treatment to which I could promptly explain, no because of the incubation period he was concerned about a false negative. I just got a smirk and then an explanation that the test is not a wonderfully acurate test (he also spoke in this calm, quiet manner). He's never seen Lyme rashes go away in 5 days. "But the issue's been raised so we'll do the test." My jaw dropped on that one. Translation: I think you're crazy lady but I'm going to do the test because on the off chance the kid does have Lyme and I don't do the test, you'll sue the pants off of me. He then left the office, came back in with a fact sheet on Lyme, made sure to point out the information on the rash..."Was it at least 2 inches wide?"...Yes..."Did it last at least two weeks"...No, it lasted one. "Well I don't know cause I didn't see the rash"...whatever dude. He convienently ignored some of the other information on the sheet, like that the rash appears on a majority but not all people and that if you notice a rash like that on your child you should see a doctor but whatever.

So in came the nurses to do the blood draw, who I must say were MUCH nicer than the doc (who I will make sure we never see for an appointment again). Obviously Katherine was not thrilled with being laid down and having blood drawn from her arm but I kept reminding myself of what the doc in Mass said and that it was better to be safe than sorry. Aside from the tears, the nurses said she did a great job. She is also a bit of a celebrity in the office, they all knew about the hand in the tailpipe. This however, made me feel like the Mother of Year, one week your in cause the kid sticks her hand in the tailpipe, the next its Lyme Disease, what does next week hold? Add to that the fact that one of the nurses asked during the blood draw, "Has she lost a tooth already?" I'll take that award now...

No comments: