Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Miss Independent

A funny moment from Sunday to share with everyone...

Katherine was engaged in one of her favorite activities Sunday morning, trying on her shoes. She will take down the basket of shoes from the changing table, dump them on the floor and then proceed to try on a few pairs of shoes. Every so often I would hear a little cry come from her room so I headed over to make sure that everything was ok. Turns out she was trying to put on a particular pair of sandals and things were not going well for her. The cries I was hearing were out of frustration. So I sat down beside her and tried to help her put them on. I immediately got a big "NOOO!" when I tried to help. She was bound and determined to do it herself. So, other than encouraging from the sideline and occasionally being able to show her how the strap had to go through the loop (and of course snapping a few pictures) she was on her own. Lo and behold after many more frustrated cries, she got the sandals on herself. However, she noticed something was not quite right after getting them on. So off they went and the whole process started all over again. This went on about 4 or 5 times before she became interested in another pair of shoes and moved on. When I relayed this story to my parents their response was "She's your daughter." I guess I didn't earn the name of Ms Independent when I was little just because I was born on July 4th.

I also had a brief moment yesterday when we picked her up from daycare. The kids were outside and as we approached the toddler play area I noticed a group of kids sitting in the corner of the area playing in the dirt (of course! big grassy area, nice play structure but they seem to gravitate right to the dirt, just like kids should). There was Katherine in the middle of the group. What I noticed in particular was that the kids were really playing together as opposed to just merely sitting together playing. While I know that I have seen K. playing with other kids before, this time stuck me, they were being social with one another. I had a brief moment where I realized how much she's growing. Of course this moment was brief because as soon as she caught sight of us she ran right over for hugs (pushing aside the children she had just been all social with), all ready to go home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no luck looking for shoes at Happily Ever After. They did have a pair of pink fur-lined snow boots, but I was afraid she'd outgrow them before it snows. They looked too hot for playtime, so they're still on the shelf, but it was a temptation.