Thursday, August 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Ms. K.!

Two…two years old today. As of 8:28 this morning my baby girl is officially two years old. This year’s birthday is making me think much more than last year. Surely having survived the first year was a definite milestone for our little family but Katherine was still very much a baby on that first birthday: she still used a bottle, her speech was all babble and she was still a few months away from taking those first steps. Now I clearly see the transition from baby to little girl that has taken place over the last year. Granted she is still a full fledged toddler and will be for quite some time. However, a lot of changes happened during the last year. On Tuesday, especially, I noticed the absolute explosion in vocabulary that has taken place over the last week. I’ve found that there is a definite developmental leap after visits with doting Grandmas and Grandpas and having a dual visit this time had a huge impact on her vocabulary. She spent a good part of yesterday walking around the house telling me what various objects were.

Her little personality is also in full swing on this second birthday. I can tell that she has inherited some of my stubbornness but there is also some hints at her Daddy’s sense of humor. We go on the 29th for the official height and weight check but there is no doubt that while she may look like me as far and hair and eyes, she will be tall and thin just like her Daddy.

Probably the hardest thing over that last year was the closing of her beloved daycare and the transition to a new center. It was tough, probably more so for her than me (can you tell that I'm STILL getting over it?). For anyone that has had the opportunity to have on-site daycare where they work, you know it is a priviledge beyond compare. It was a shock to the parents and teachers when the Department decided to close it (don't get me started...). I've learned that life moves on and you just have to roll with the punches and that the kids are much more resilient that the parents!

Since we had her big party this past weekend, today will be pretty low key. We brought in cupcakes to share with her friends at snack time and I am considering taking a few hours of community service leave to be there for snack time.

Katherine’s birthday also falls at a time of year that I always found somewhat special. The start of the transition from summer to fall. Growing up in a house where both parents worked for school systems (for those that don’t know, my dad is a guidance counselor and my mom is a school nurse) and then spending so many years in school myself, this time of year always seemed like New Year’s to me, more so than the official day in January. And there always seemed like there was lots to look forward to in the “new year”; changing leaves, crisp days, state fair (I should probably include a link to this one as well!), the holiday season, etc… There were a lot of little traditions attached to all of these days as well. As K. grows older, I’m looking forward to our little family starting our own traditions around this second half of the year, such as last year’s visit to the farm.

Happy 2nd Birthday Miss Katherine Anne! I can't wait to see what this year will bring!

4 comments:

Christina said...

Happy Birthday little Ms. K! What a big girl...a whole 2 years old today!! Hope you have a great day and lots of fun and excitement in the coming year! Say Hi to your mom and dad for us.

Love, Christina, Tim, & Noah

Bridget said...

Happy Birthday Katherine!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to the Kate-ster!

Anonymous said...

It does seem like she suddenly went from baby to little girl, and looking at the picture, her hair is definitely much lighter. This doting grandma had a wonderful time and is looking forward to our next visit. Happy, Happy Birthday!