Friday, July 25, 2014

While the kids are away...

The kids are returning today from three weeks with their grandparents.  If you combine time spent with both Ted parents and my parents, they have been away a whole month of this summer.  This is precious time for them, a chance to have a real summer vacation of waking up and doing what kids do in the summer instead of being shuttled from daycare activity to daycare activity.  For Ted and I it's a much needed respite, one that we look forward to pretty much all year.  And for me it's usually a chance to catch up around this house.

I want to say during the time they were gone I completely reorganized the closets, cleaned out the garage, scrubbed the baseboards.  In previous years this was true.  But for some reason it just didn't happen. I did however put in a lot of running miles, we spent a couple of relaxing days at the beach and I actually read a book.  We watch a lot of Downton Abbey. And I painted a headboard.  So maybe a did get a few things done.  But I think I took a mental time out more than I used the time to catch up.  Being a type A, I don't know if that is good or bad but it is what my mind was telling me was needed. I spent the last few days telling myself that was ok.  And this morning I'm really believing it.  I'll probably feel different come tomorrow afternoon, when the house is in chaos again, although it would be in the same state whether I spent the last month cleaning the closets or not.  Right now, I'm just excited to get this day done so that I can go home and see my kiddos.  That's it.

And it feels good.

No comments: