I feel like summer's been here for weeks already but we're only starting. I'm not sure why, we haven't had a warmer than usual spring and Katherine still has a week and a half of school left. But I had to remind myself when I looked at looked at our small tomato plants in the garden this evening...that it was only June 1st. They should be small. It's not even summer yet, officially. But we've already had a taste of it and we're ready for more.
And what a summer coming up for the kids. A week in Virginia. Two weeks in Massachusetts. An end of the summer trip to see the Mouse and dine with Cindy and the girls (more on that later). Lots of swimming. Time with friends. Lately the kids have been spending most of their home days outside running around with the neighborhood kids rather than inside in front of the TV. This is as it should be. My favorite memories of summer growing up are of playing outside from the moment we woke up until the time we went to sleep. Their still too young for Twilight Laser Tag but maybe someday. Katherine asked this afternoon when we were going to get a new tent. I don't know if I'm ready for a backyard camp out but I think the kids would be game.
Ted went outside with them tonight to catch fireflies. They did it for the first time last night, kind of an impromptu moment in the neighbor's yard while the adults were chatting and drinking beer up on the porch. Our bug man Teddy loved it, he caught a bunch with his bare hands. I caught a peek at them running around, watching for the flashes. I saw Teddy reach right out and grab one. Katherine reported that she had one that "didn't want to leave me and fly away." I see a few night time fires in the fire pit in our future, relaxing while the kids run around chasing the glow.
We've only just begun.
No comments:
Post a Comment