

Obviously it didn't occur to me to take a before picture but just so you know this was the last room in the house with wallpaper left on it. It was original to the house, which was built in 1999, making it about 14 years old. And it was ugly...ok not horrible ugly, must come down right away but more not my taste ugly. I believe we do have a picture of it somewhere in the photos of the home inspection right before we moved in.
Ugly as it was, it was in decent condition and there were more important home improvement projects to get to. I'd say in the last year or so the corners of the paper had started to pull up, so I knew it was time. I continued to put it off basically because I had an idea of what the walls would be like underneath based on our experiences of pulling wallpaper in the kitchen and other bathrooms. Since the paper is original to the house it was put up before light fixtures, mirrors and in the case of the master bathroom, some baseboards and moldings were installed. Plus the walls weren't properly primed and painted beforehand. I'll consider the fact that the builder (the prominent builder in town) is currently going through bankruptcy issues sweet justice for the cheap way their first neighborhood of houses were built...or maybe just for the crappy way that they wallpapered.
To my surprise the paper in this room came off the easiest...the top layer with just my fingernails and some pulling. I did however find a few surprises.

There are three holes like this. So after I finished cleaning up the walls last weekend I got to work taping and spackling...you'll have to wait for those pictures but I must say after layer three of spackle on that hole above, I'm pretty proud of myself. The kids have both said that they want the room to be painted blue...so what better to go with blue than some ducks:
![]() |
| Picture from Kohls |

No comments:
Post a Comment