Teddy has a the run of the house for the past week while Katherine has been up at Papa and Gram's in Massachusetts. We'll save the report of her activities up there for a post once she returns later in this upcoming week. We've enjoyed having a lot of one on one time with our little guy and I think he's enjoyed playing around the house and especially in his sister's room undisturbed. He has developed a love for Play-doh and Hungry Hungry Hippos.
Probably the biggest development leap I've noticed recently is that Teddy has learned to throw. Not only that, he's getting fairly good at it. This means dinner has taken on a whole new level of messiness. And he is not detoured by the word no, no matter how forcefully you say. I practically out and out yelled at him this morning (Ok, I did yell at him), something that would make his sister burst into tears. He just stared at me blankly and went about his business. Crap, I thought, what do I do now?
And while he really doesn't have any words of his own yet, his understanding of what you are saying him has grown by leaps and bounds. Ask him if he wants to take a bath and he'll head straight for the stairs and go up to the tub. Tell him that the piece of paper he's holding needs to be thrown away and he take it right over to the trash can and throw it away (and sometimes applaud himself for his efforts). I asked him to point out Mickey Mouse today. The little guy happily pointed with a little grunt. And even without words, he seems to be able to convey his requests to us with little difficulty.
Sleeping, well that's a different story. He is going down much easier and the middle of the night wake ups take less than two minutes. We're pretty sure a lot of it has to do with teeth, especially lately. I've just resigned myself to the fact that he will sleep through the night when he is good and ready and there's not much we're going to do to rush it. The smiles and kisses I get during the day make up for those missed minutes of sleep at night.
No comments:
Post a Comment