Friday, April 1, 2011

Wrong turn

So in the rush to get to daycare yesterday, I took a wrong turn. Actually, the kids were unusually quiet in the backseat which allowed me to space out and get on the highway to head straight into work instead of heading straight into town. Katherine immediately noticed something was amiss: “This isn’t the way to school!” Ahhh, ooops, no it isn’t. In fact, she had a minor meltdown over it while I assured her we would just get off at the next exit. “I’m not going to school today!?!?” which turned into “We’re going to be late to school!!” Now I should be pleased that the kid was genuinely upset at the thought of not going to school. But what surprised me was how upset she was at just the simple change in the route to get to school. We never even left town but she was shaken. When we got to school, I told her that I accidentally made a wrong turn and, well, that happens sometimes. Her response? “I don’t want you to do that ever again!”

Teddy made a visit to the “big kid room” yesterday. That’s right; he’s starting his transition to the toddler room. I’m both excited and in shock that we are at this point. Ms. Mary is not happy; she wants her Teddy to stick around with her for a little while longer. No, last weekend was not “the weekend”, he is not walking yet. But he is making strides, letting go and taking one or two steps before toppling over. It won’t be long. Seems he had fabulous time in the new room and was so tired he slept for close to four hours in a row during the afternoon. Does this mean we will have a little boy who will be so tuckered out from his days in the toddler room he will sleep straight through the night? We’ll see!

No comments: