It hasn't gone at all like I thought it would. Not that I had any plans for it, just the normal daily routine. Plans for a few posts to cover some things that have been going around here. A few meetings at work that I wanted to get over with. Time with the kids. Pretty much the same old, same old.
I don't think there's been one day that has been routine, thanks to the dreaded stomach bug that hit Katherine at the beginning of the week. Truth be told, we're pretty sure that Teddy had it last week but we just chalked it up to too much sweets on his birthday for a little tummy that had not experienced them before. In the middle of the night, Monday into Tuesday, Katherine came into our room. I don't think either of us caught what she said but the end result was her laying in our bed. At some point Mr. T joined us too and we were one big happy family snoozing til morning. We thought all was well until Ted went to go get Katherine's clothes for the day and suddenly saw why she had come in our room. She had thrown up, in her sleep, in her bed. Let's not think about the fact that she had then laid with the rest of us, don't go there, we tried not to. So in the blink of an eye, plans for the day changed immediately. We halved the day, since I had a meeting to attend in the afternoon. Poor kid spent most of the day curled up in a bed of blankets on the living room floor, watching Nick Jr.
Funny how kids bounce back though, by the evening she was back to old self, appetite returned and off to school she went the next day. Phew, dodged that bullet we thought. And we really did...until...stupid me absentmindedly gave her a big cup of milk to have with her dinner the next night. A cup of milk that she chugged with gusto and then asked for more. Yes, I now the Golden Rule, do not give a child who has really had stomach issues dairy, no matter how well they seem. At bedtime she complained that her stomach hurt a bit but that she was ok. Yeah, you can guess what happened a few hours later. Add to that that Teddy was up every two hours that night as well and yup, it was a rough overnight at our house.
So there we were yesterday morning with a kid who was now perfectly fine but who we new full well needed to avoid milk products for the day and would surely make mention of the previous nights events to her classmates if we tried to send her in. Sometimes that dreaded 24 hour rule is not a good thing. So with an important can't miss meeting at work (which consumed my week), what's a mom to do? That's right, off to work we went! Katherine loved it and she was as good as gold watching a movie and playing quietly in the office next to my meeting. Phew!
So all in all, I reached Friday thinking it was time to call it a week and start over again on Monday. I'll save my other updates for then. Better late than never right?
No comments:
Post a Comment