Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A weekend to ourselves

Our last true weekend away (meaning one that did not involve a trip to see family or friends) was our honeymoon, over seven years ago. To say we were overdue is an understatement. Ted was the one who instigated this trip, almost a year ago. “Next fall we’re going away for a long weekend, just you and I.” If he didn’t insist on it, it would have never happened. Well into pregnancy number two, vacation days in my book were saved in miserly fashion for things like maternity leave and trips to see family. Money was being put away for an upcoming delivery, hospital stay and dare we mention the prospect of paying for two kids in daycare? An actual vacation for the sole purpose of just getting away? You must be joking! Nope, he was serious. Papa and Gram Coberly eagerly came down to watch the kids and off we went. By Friday afternoon we were already talking about where we would go next time.

Ted found the B&B and I have to say he made an excellent choice. I would recommend it to anyone who is planning a getaway to the Outer Banks. Tucked away in Manteo, on Roanoke Island, it was walking distance to some really cute shops and restaurants and just a quick drive over to the main action in Nags Head (albeit toned down, off season, main action). I really can’t do better than their website to advertise how wonderful our stay was, so click on the link above and check it out. We stayed in the Roanoke Room, which I would also recommend (Since we were the first to check in our Friday, all of the rooms were open and of course that means that yours truly had to poke my head in each of them for a closer look. Really, their all beautiful in person.). Our treat to ourselves was a first ever 60 minute, full body side by side message in our room on Saturday morning. Why do we not do this more often?

We didn’t make any special plans for the weekend other than relaxation. No stress, we didn’t make a rule that we wouldn’t talk about the kids, if they came up in conversation, they came up. It was just nice to have some time to go at our own pace and not have to worry about nap schedules and early morning wake ups. I realized how much we needed this time away and how we don’t seem to take this time in our normal, everyday crazy routine.

The picture above is a pier in Manteo. On Saturday afternoon we spied a couple getting married, surrounded by friends and family, out on that pier. The weather was much colder and cloudier that day than when I snapped the picture on Friday but I’m sure they didn’t let that ruin their special day.

On the way home I got out my calendar to take a peek. It hit me, we have this week, next week and then WHAM! The holidays arrive with Turkey Day the week after. Are you kidding me? I was SURE there was more time than that between now and Thanksgiving. I have a personal goal this year of getting the majority of our shopping done by December 1. I better get a move on. Back to our crazy routine!

No comments: