Tuesday, August 3, 2010

And so it begins

I could update you on all the little tidbits of things that are going on around here but instead we'll start with what's occupying my mind.  On Saturday afternoon we received a letter from our church with a form entitled "Religious Education Program, School Year 2010-2011".  It's says that any child who's 4 by August 31st is eligible  Wha???? I didn't think that CCD officially started until first grade but their showing a time slot for Pre-K on here.  The letter says that first communion is celebrated in second grade after successful completion of First Grade Religious Ed. So does this mean that my child doesn't have start attending now or does she need to go to the Pre-K and Kindergarten classes to start the first grade class.  A phone call is in order to get that question answered which I am sure will go something like..."Even if she doesn't have to attend until first grade, why would you NOT want to start sending her right away."  Good ol' Catholic guilt.

It asks for a copy of the child's baptismal certificate upon registration ($40 for the year), because in the Catholic church, no one's word is good enough (because we're such an unfaithful lot), you've got to have the paper trail to go with it.  Since Katherine was baptised in Massachusetts and that parish has since closed, I'll have to make some phone calls to track down where all of the paperwork went to, unless by some miraculous reason we have a copy of it in the fire safe upstairs.  Note to self to request Teddy's baptismal certificate very shortly after his baptism.

So just when is CCD?  Sunday mornings from 9:15 to 10:20.  Ugh.  I can't say we've been regular church goers lately but we're trying to get better.  We like the option of a Saturday evening mass. Obviously in this situation, we're kind of forced to go Sunday morning.  And our church is just far enough away that you wouldn't go home and come back to pick her up, which means we'd have to either wait for her or go and do something for an hour.   Trust me, there is no where to go to kill an hour in Wendell, NC on a Sunday morning.

I thought we had at least another year before we had to deal with this.  Here we go!

1 comment:

Crazy Aunt Colleen said...

I'm serious, what if you just didn't go? What if you just waited a year? What if you moved from a place where the rules are different? I don't think that the Catholic church is in the position to kick anyone out.