I realized tonight that it has been just over a week since my last post. There's a four letter word that is the primary reason for the space between posts. Work. Things have been crazy, I finished up a major evaluation project on Monday only to find myself buried in catch up work. I swear I could spend every waking moment between now and when the baby is born working on projects and still not be in the place I would like to be before maternity leave. As I've said before, we are pretty much ready for this new addition to our family, work is the only place where I feel not ready. And yes both my co-workers AND my bosses tell me not to be worried about this, what gets done gets done, but you know the anal retentive person in me just can't have it that way. I would feel too personally responsible about dumping my work on someone else. I want as many things in order before the big moment. Not only that, I know that work I put aside before the baby is born will be waiting for me when I return. I'd rather get it done now if I can and make my return as smooth as possible. Everyone at work is fully aware of these anal retentive tendencies so they just say ok and tell me not to stress myself out too much. They know full well their not going to change my mind.
So what's in store for the weekend? Honestly, I keep forgetting that Valentine's Day is this Sunday. Ted asked me a week ago what I wanted to do this weekend and I was like, huh? We discussed going out to dinner. However the more I thought about it I realized what I would really like would be to skip dinner and head straight to dessert. So the plan is to locate a gooey, decadent, chocolate dessert to bring home and enjoy. Heck, I'm eating for two right now so I don't care how many calories are involved, just as long as it's tasty. I'm planning on looking up bakeries and pastry shops in the area tomorrow to see what we can find. Along the way we'll pick up a little cupcake or something for Katherine since she still does not like chocolate.
I am also sure that this weekend will involve some cookie baking. During our recent snowy weekend, I decided a good cabin fever activity would be to make some cookies. I had made this sour cream cookie recipe from McCashew before. Unfortunately we were out of a key ingredient, eggs. So I had to do some improvising. I had read that you could substitute applesauce for eggs, I just needed to look online for the proper amount of applesauce to add to the recipe. I also added cinnamon instead of nutmeg. The result was a soft and tasty apple-cinnamon cookie that was a big hit with everyone in the house, even with the member of the household that isn't too keen on the sweet stuff. We made a second batch a few days later. Katherine has made a few requests to make them again since then, she had a great time helping me.
Sounds like things are shaping up to be quite tasty around here for the next few days!
No comments:
Post a Comment