The hospital bag is packed. The first time around this was a multi-week operation involving lists, planning and multiple trips to the store. Thinking that I would make through Katherine's birth drug free, I packed a whole "labor bag" and then a second bag for the actual hospital stay. Think of socks filled with rice, tennis balls, music, etc... Seeing as I started real labor at about 8pm and desperately wanted to go to sleep by 11pm that night, I don't think one thing in that labor bag got used. I know better this time around. In fact the way I packed is completely different and it only took me about 30 minutes and one quick trip to Target to put together. Two notable things that are coming with me this time: my own pjs and robe AND some towels. Those hand towels they pass of as bath towels do not pass muster. You think hotel towels can be small, I must have used a good half dozen of them to dry off after a shower. I'm bringing my own bath sheet this time. I was also told last time not to bother with my own pjs. But I'm sorry, those hospital gowns are a bit...shall we say...drafty? I'm fine with them during labor but afterwards I want my own comfy duds. And of course there is a cute little newborn sleeper (thanks Uncle Scott and Aunt Kathleen!) for "the baby brother" to come home in and the Pooh hat that Katherine wore in the hospital. Not to mention a couple of "pacis" that I had to make sure to hide from Miss K.
Speaking of Miss K., she announced very unexpectedly this afternoon "I love my baby brother." When I asked her if she was excited for her baby brother to come home, she told me "He's already home." Well, technically, yes (you can't put anything by this kid). Here's hoping things are this smooth post birth. I know better.
The bag was really the last major thing that needed to be done before the main event. We could be using that bag in as little as 3 or 4 weeks or as long as 8 weeks if I go past my due date. I'm hoping for that lower number over there. At 34 weeks I can tell you I'm happy that we started early with the whole room rearranging and baby preparations. I'm still feeling good overall but I can tell I'm slowing down. The thought of having to assemble any furniture, do any painting, or any other major prep work is laughable right now. I need to post pictures of the finished nursery, all ready for it's new occupant. In the end, I decided not to repaint the room, the Pooh decor just did not go with baby blue. We'll do the blue when it's time to change it into a big boy room.
2 comments:
My own nightgowns were KEY for the two days after I delivered!!!!!! My other must have....sadly, my computer.
I still have to pack my bag. I just bought the coming home outfit for Liam this weekend.
Post a Comment