Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pregnancy Update

I'm popping my head up from behind the 44 proposals I've been reviewing to say hello. Things have been crazy on the workfront lately which means no time for posts during lunch breaks. Today I can start to see a bit of a clearing in the fog so I'm taking an actual lunch break for the first time in a while.

I realized that it had been quite some time since I've given any type of updates on how I'm doing, pregnancy wise, mostly because I've been doing great. Katherine's pregnancy was smoother but this one seems to be going even smoother for me (knock on...uh...particle board and laminate desk). While I can't say that you ever forget you are pregnant, for obvious reasons, there are many days where I'm just flying around in my normal routine and it doesn't seem to cross my mind that there's a baby with me (or rather in me). Our little guy is quite busy though, I get a few kicks every day that just about take my breath away. And just like his older sister, he likes to get particularly busy just as I'm going to bed and right when I'm about to wake up. This does not bode well for future sleep patterns. And I'm sure the aches and pains will increase in the coming weeks but they are minimal right now and extremely manageable.

Probably the biggest thing this time around is just how fast the time is going. I'll be 30 weeks this Saturday. Wow. And while my official due date is April 10th the pregnancy apps on my phone are telling me that I will be considered full term as of March 20th. This caused a bit of a moment last week when I looked at the calendar and realized it was January 20th. That means in two months its all systems go at any moment. Thankfully on the homefront we are pretty much ready. The nursery is all set up (I decided not to repaint after all), clothes are washed, there's really just a small list of little things that need to be done in there. I should finish those up in the next few weeks. I keep saying that really the baby could arrive tomorrow and while we'd have to make a Target run (Ok, Ted would be making that Target run) on the whole we'd be just fine. I did remember last weekend that sometime in the next month I need to get the hospital registration form, leave and health insurance forms taken care of at work and a hospital bag put together. But even that is not stressing me all that much.

However, on the work front, yeah I've got plenty to do between now and then. I know full well work will NOT be on mind once I go out on leave (as my co-workers keep reminding me) but until then I feel obligated to tie up as many loose ends as possible to make their lives easier and mine easier too once it's time to return. That's when I look at the calendar and go Yikes! Two months!?! Really? WOW.

Katherine seems to be doing great with the upcoming arrival of her baby brother. I'm not sure how much she really grasps the full concept at this point. We talk about it and she will mention "my baby brother in Mommy's tummy" but I think her mind this little boy will arrive magically one day all ready to play with her. I will say that I am an object of complete fascination in her daycare class, which some days she likes, some days she does not. Everyday when I walk in at pick up time the kids ask me "where's your baby?" and some of them will come and rub my tummy. They ask when the baby is going to get here and Katherine will very matter of factly inform them that "we need to be patient." I've fielded quite a few questions which thankfully have been nice, safe ones like "What's his name going to be?" (answer the last time it was asked was we're still working on it) and NOT "How did he get in your tummy?" I'd think I'd reroute them to their parents for the answer to THAT question.

I have a doctor's appointment on Friday which should be a very quick one and I'm toying with the idea of having Miss K come with me instead of dropping her off at daycare. She'd get to hear the baby's heartbeat and see the building where she was and he will be born. Then maybe we'll head over to Marbles for an hour or two of playing. A little day of just us girls.

No comments: