Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wrapping paper and light bulbs

I see from the weather reports that both of my parents have a snow day today…this morning was quite nasty down here, just rain but now the sun is coming out. We had some thunder in the middle of the night last night which co-workers tell me means snow is on its way in 7 to 9 days. Weather.com actually shows a chance of snow showers and a nightly low of 27 degrees on December 16th so who knows!


My previous post on wrapping brought on a brief discussion at work of whether presents from Santa Claus are wrapped or unwrapped under the tree. Growing up, they were always wrapped and I never thought of doing it any other way. Their presents, you wrap them. However, I have heard that many people ran down to the tree on Christmas morning to find a toy display instead of a pile of wrapped presents. I was told that wrapping the presents must be a “Northern Thing” but since we weren’t doing an official poll, I can’t be sure of this. K’s presents will be wrapped (in the chosen snowman paper of course!!). So, what say you?

Charlie Brown was on last night and we did not miss it! As with other ones, K loved it and was quite sad when it was over and she realized it was time for bed. She fell asleep within minutes of hitting the sheets however, so she was definitely tired. Bedtime lately has revolved her taking a pile of books under the covers with her and “reading” to herself by nightlight until she falls asleep. It is hilarious listening to her reading to herself. One of us will go in later and usually find her sound asleep, hugging a book. Last night she took the books but I don’t think any of them were cracked before she was out.

I noticed two nights ago that the light bulb for one of the North Pole buildings is out. The Reindeer Barn to be exact. Where is this located in the display? Why in the middle, near the rear of course. Meaning I would need to get on the ladder and precariously perch over the display trying not to interrupt anything else as I lift up the building, take out the light, change the bulb, put it back in and place the building back down. I’m trying to decide if that is worth it and currently I’m airing on the not worth it side of things. Visions of me knocking an irreplaceable building over the ledge with my elbow (or more likely my stomach these days) down to the foyer below help reinforce the thought that this is a smart move (even though seeing that building out bothers this Type A). That bulb can get tossed when I take the display down. The reindeer will just have to live in a dark barn for a while.

No comments: