Monday, December 7, 2009

Waiting for Santa...

Apparently the Twitter feed feature is broken on blogger.  I tried to put my feed back in today and again I some other random person's feed instead.  But one of the messages in the feed was that they are trying not to Twitter until blogger fixes the Twitter feed.  Considering my main use of Twitter is for quick blog updates, I won't be using it much until they fix it either! So, whoever you are, thanks for the info!!

Maybe it's the cool, cloudy weather around here but it's definitely starting to feel like Christmas.  With the exception of cookie baking the weekend of the 19th, we are DONE!!  Santa shopping completed, family shopping completed, Christmas cards in the mail...time to enjoy!  Miss K help was very excited to help me wrap up presents for family this weekend.  I turned on the holiday tunes and she got all into it...until...she looked up and told me: "I want my presents."  My response went something like: "Sorry sweetie, we have to wait until Santa comes at Christmas for presents, the elves are still making them. Even Papas and Grams and Aunts and Uncles aren't getting these presents until Christmas."  She knew she didn't like the man for a reason.  A minor, bordering on major, meltdown ensued...not just once but a good three times during the course of the day as she repeated her request only to learn that she would have to wait. One of those meltdowns found her face down on our bed sobbing, unconsolable that Santa hadn't brought her presents yet.  I need to find a spot to tuck away those family presents, although I think the damage is done.  Katherine is smart and just because those presents are out of sight (and not for her) doesn't mean she won't bring them up from now until Christmas.

I told her that Santa liked cookies and asked her if we should leave some cookies out for Santa on Christmas Eve..."No."  Ok then.

I also neglected to pull out the roll of wrapping paper that I was planning to use for the Santa presents.  I let Katherine pick out which paper each family present should be wrapped in before this little fact hit me.  I still think she is too young to notice that the wrapping paper is all the same but I saved the situation by asking her which paper was her favorite (Snowmen) and then asking her if I should tell Santa to wrap her presents using that same paper (yes!...PHEW!).  Her next response was..."I'll help Santa wrap my presents."  You know where things are headed with that one...

The trials and tribulations of being 3 at Christmastime.  I might feel like Christmas is practically here but to a preschooler it must feel like an eternity.

One thing Katherine definitely is enjoying this year is the Advent calendars.  We have 4 chocolate calendars in our house right now, one from Aunt Colleen for K. and one for each of us from Papa and Gram Coberly.  Katherine eagerly asks to "open the doors" each day and the last couple of days has even remembered what door number needs to be opened.  She likes to scan each calendar looking for the appropriate numberOf course after we open the doors for that day, she asks to open the next set so tonight after we open the number 7 doors, she'll say "Let's open number 8."

True to form Katherine has no interest in eating the chocolate in the Advent calendars but we have finally found her two weaknesses in the world of sweets.  Skittles and Gummy Bears.  She gets the love of Gummy Bears from Ted, as I think they are kind of gross myself.  Skittles came from school where she has gotten some as a reward for good behavior.  Should we have either in the house she will ask for them in place of every meal, she may have arrived late to the candy party but she's catching on quick.

1 comment:

Gram C said...

Santa took the easy way out at our house. His presents weren't wrapped and were put in the stocking or nearby.