Sunday, October 11, 2009

VMI Reunion Pics

FINALLY...I get to this post.  As you all know, last Saturday Ted, K, and I drove from Ted's parent's over to Lexington, VA for Ted's 10 year reunion.  We had a great time and I must say Miss K was a trooper considering a good part of the day was spent standing around and catching up with people.  I took a lot more pictures than this, which I'll upload to the October album (once I get that started). First thing, the Class of 1999 gathered for a photo. 


She got a really kick out of the parade. Ted is much better at explaining all of the various traditions but I'll tell you what I know. Before every football game, all of the keydets parade out on the big field in front of the barracks:

K's favorite place to watch?  On Daddy's lap of course!

After the parade, all of the Keydets and alumni marched into the barracks for "Old Yells".  This is one of the only times that visitors are allowed in the barracks, so it was my first time in them!  Katherine thought we were going into "a castle" and therefore was very impressed.

All of the Keydets race up the stairs and line up along the railings. Then the "Old Yells" begin (Ted would need to explain more about the tradition here).  All I can say was, it was loud.  Cuteness alert! In the middle of all the yelling and cheering, K. started chanting the Wonderpets song..."Gooooo Wonderpets!"


After the Old Yells, we walked through barracks and headed out to the parade grounds for tailgating.  Ted and I decided not to attend the actual football game since we knew K would not last very long at it and well, Ted had been to enough footballs games when he was a student there (Keydets are required to attend all of the football games, they actually march in and everything...it's actually pretty cool to see but I'm sure it gets old for them really fast).  So we hung around for a bit to talk with others a bit more and then headed back to Ted's parents in time for dinner.  All in all, a great day!!

2 comments:

colleen said...

What are "Keydets?" Is this a special VMI designation for a cadet?

Caleb and Adrienne said...

Looks like you had a good time!