We didn’t want her to have bangs. Katherine had other plans. For the most part our Labor Day Weekend was a relaxing one spent at home, catching up on things. I finally got around to cleaning out K’s closet, making room for the fall clothes, culling through the summer and spring (and who am I kidding some of last winter) to remove the things that no longer fit her. K spent a lot of time on her swing set, help Daddy put together his new weight bench in the garage (which was beyond cute…especially when she came and got me when they were all done and presented the completed weight bench with a TAAA DAAAA!!!).
Monday rolled in gloomy and drizzly. And some point Monday afternoon Katherine asked to use her scissors while in the TV room. No problem, I handed them over and she happily started cutting up some paper. 30 minutes, maybe an hour later, she retired to “Daddy’s Bed” to lie down and watch Noggin (and I was hoping to fall asleep as well). The scissors stayed with the craft stuff in the TV room. I checked on her a few times while I was cleaning out another closet. Ted was on the computer. All was well.
At some point I walked into our bedroom to put something on my dresser. Katherine looked up at me and said “I cut my hair, its on the floor.” I took a brief glance… “Uh huh”. I thought for a second she had just grabbed another piece of paper and those were strips of paper on the floor. Then the bell went off in my head. I spun around to see that it was NOT paper but rather hair…Katherine’s hair. My reaction was not the best… “Oh Katherine, NOOOOO!!!!” I scooped up the hair and grabbed the scissors. Miss K., who I think was extremely proud of herself up until then, burst into tears. Ted ran in and inspected the damage. Honestly, not too bad, basically the kid has bangs now. I guess I happened upon her before the real damage was done. There was one strip the she missed that I think might need to be clipped but I wanted to leave well enough alone yesterday while we all (me) recovered. I still might take her to see Kim this week so that things can be evened off and fixed properly. Hey, it could have been worse, as you can see from the picture it in the previous post; she didn’t do a half bad job. Of course her mood for the rest of the day was less than stellar. She was pretty disagreeable and she got sent to her room for pushing me. She ended up falling asleep at 5pm and slept straight through until morning. I didn’t get a chance to snap a picture until this morning.
I know, it’s hair, it will grow. Plus once we get it trimmed up, you’ll never know something was amiss. But did I mention that she’s in another wedding in less than six weeks???? She knows how to time these things.
Those scissors are safely tucked away where K can’t get to them. We’ll be having a little talk before they are given out again, along with a lot of supervision. I’m still scratching my head on how we both failed to notice the scissors leaving the TV room and ending up in the bedroom. Honestly, I think she is still proud of herself, she’s mentioned multiple times that… “I cut my own hair.”
And I thought age 3 was going to be calmer than age 2…
3 comments:
If it makes you feel any better, my reaction would have been exactly the same, complete with the long extended NOOOOOOOO. She certainly likes to keep you on your toes Beth! You have quite the independent lady on your hands, which ultimately is a very good thing. it will serve her well in life, but may also give you high blood pressure.
While I would certainly share your traumatic reaction, I do have to say she did an amazingly good job for a 3 year old! Apparently the long bangs were not in her immediate fashion plan! What an independent one you have there.
When I was her age, I cut not only my hair, but baby brother's.
Post a Comment