The weather around here is gorgeous, looks like we're going to get a big taste of summertime this weekend. Today is my first real Friday off in a while, no more adverse weather time to make up. As Katherine and I were headed to the library this morning this song came on the radio. The combination of the weather and the music brought back memories of family vacations on Cape Cod when I was growing up. My family vacationed on the Cape just about every year from as early as I can remember. We would spend the week camping at Peter's Pond Park (which now bills itself as an RV resort but trust me it was a regular ol' campground when we camped there and by camping I mean in a tent). Most days our feet would be in the sand of one of the Cape's beaches and our evenings would be spent playing miniature golf (which down here in NC is called "putt putt"...I laugh every time I hear an adult say it) and eating soft serve. The radio was always tuned to a particular easy listening station, which would seem to play the same songs year after year along with Paul Harvey and ads for the Falmouth Road Race (Its the Falmouth Road Race from start (gunshot, panting)...to finish (phew!). For the life of me I can't remember exactly which station it was (possibly this one M&D? Although there's a decent possibility it may have been an AM station, my dad loves him some AM radio) since I wasn't the one with the control of the radio. At some point my sister and I dubbed these songs "Cape Cod Songs" since that was primarily where we heard them. My parents seemed to tune into different types of radio stations when we were at home. Yet ritualistically the minute we would hit the Sagamore or Bourne Bridge, the dial would get moved. Years after the annual trips gave way to summer jobs and high school activities, if one of these songs came on the radio we'd immediately think...Cape Cod song. I could go for a relaxing week on the Cape right now. I hope when K. gets a bit bigger we can start an annual family vacation tradition.
So what's in store for this wonderful weekend? I hoping to get K's kiddie pool up. With temps at or close to 90 its definitely warm enough for her to splash around a bit. We'll also keep up with the yard in the mornings and evenings. Tonight is another scrapbooking night for me, I'll be heading out soon to pick up some chocolate for the evening because the two just seem to go hand in hand.
3 comments:
I'm going to have that song in my head all. day. long.
Actually the station was WCIB. I used to pull it in at college.
http://www.cool102.com/index.php?func=default
chocolate!!! thanks for picking it up! =0) We all had a good time last night!!
We used that station because it had the best cape cod weather and news. It also had the sports in the morning
Post a Comment