I've signed up to run the Raleigh Rocks half marathon next weekend. I haven't run a long distance in a few weeks so I wanted to go out and do at least 10 miles. I decided to drive out to Umstead state park on the west edge of Raleigh. It's about a 40 mile drive, but it has miles of gravel double track path and is a popular running spot.
I arrived shortly after the park opened and noticed small groups of runners gathering together and stretching. Not wanted to waste any time, I found a posted park map and memorized my route and then began the run. I realized quickly that Umstead is VERY hilly. I dont usually have a problem with hills on my runs but these were very severe up and down at some places making it difficult to get in a rhythm. No matter though, I was enjoying the morning and began counting down the miles. I started to get worried around mile 8 because I thought I should be near a lake I had already passed but still did not see it. Then at mile 10 I arrived at an overlook for Raleigh-Durham airport. I briefly registered a thought that I shouldn't be passing the overlook but continued on because I only had one more mile. Finally as I approached mile 11 I saw the gate entrance to the park. My joy turned to confusion I didn't see the parking lot I left my car in. I stopped at the entrance and checked the map again. I had taken a wrong turn and was at the wrong park gate. I had probably 3 miles of backtracking to do. I knew I couldn't run the 3 miles and even walking would probably take and hour and half. I decided the best thing to do was to try and cut through the woods and blaze my own trail. Not having a map compass or GPS, all I could do was fall back on some old Army training. I marked the sun and set out south east using my best dead reckoning skills. About 45 minutes later I found a path that led back to the parking lot. I probably came pretty close to going the full 13.1 miles of the half marathon, so I'll take it easy this week and shouldn't have a problem on Saturday.
No comments:
Post a Comment