Goodness, Wednesday already, the first half of the week seemed to fly by. Katherine got her second haircut yesterday. It was even more adorable that the first cut and of course I didn’t have a camera with me to capture the moment. She sat herself on the chair like a big girl (booster seat of course) and let Kim cover her with a smock. And she got quite a kick out of checking herself out in the mirror. All in all she seemed pretty chipper about the whole experience, especially the lollipop at the end!
It looks like Katherine had her last romp in her kiddie pool for the season this past weekend. We had very warm temps in the 90s but fall has definitely arrived this week, highs in the 70s for the foreseeable future. The weekend after next we’ll be in Massachusetts celebrating the nuptials of my cousin Bill and his fiancĂ©e Bryn. While we’re up there, we’ll be taking Katherine to The Big E, which I am VERY excited about. Then it’s October!!! The first weekend is reserved for painting (finally!) our bathroom but then we should have some time to enjoy some fall activities. I’ll also have to start the search for Miss K’s Halloween costume. There will be a party at preschool and I think Ted and I will take her around the neighborhood for her first time trick or treating.
One minor setback in the bathroom redo. My success in painting the gold frame around the mirror has not been a success at all. As I was cleaning the mirror, the paint started to come off onto the paper towel. When I ran my finger along the frame I ended up with a silver finger. Crap! What went wrong? I thought there was a prep step I had skipped. Then yesterday morning I ran my finger along the silver paint on the wall. Yup, silver finger. Surely the paint should have stuck to the wall. I bought Rustoleum paint too, which I thought was a good brand. So I did some online searching and sure enough, others were reporting the same problem too. There was even a person who commented that they tried to apply a clear coat over the silver paint to stop this and the paint ended up running all over the place. So what to do? Well, first I need to sand down the frame this weekend. Then I think I am going to brush on a primer to cover up the gold paint. Then we will try repainting the frame. Instead of spray paint I am going to stop by the craft store and get something I can brush on instead, should be a bit cleaner to apply. So there you have it, my task for this weekend!
Now for those that are thinking we should just take the mirror down off of the wall, yes we have thought of that. We’ve thought about getting two mirrors to hang over each sink. However, we are concerned that we are going to get ourselves into even more of a mess than just having to repaint a frame. The mirror is glued to the wall; everything I’ve read about removing it basically involves prying it from wall with as much force as you can muster (think crowbars, hammers, and safety glasses…never a good combination) and then repairing any damage afterwards. Some sites even talked about cutting out the wallboard that it is mounted on and then replacing that sheet of wallboard. Yikes!!! Probably really simple but something I am not prepared to jump into right now. Maybe down the road, for now I’ll just try to repaint the frame.
2 comments:
No, I think that they do it with suction cups. You'll have to patch the wallboard afterwards.
I'll leave the remodeling comments up to the experts and give you another trip report. We had a nice visit with Aunt Betty in Seattle. Her prognosis is not good, but she saw the doctor last week and doesn't have to go back for two months. The next day was a travel day and definitely the weirdest one weatherwise. We zoomed down I-5 to Grants Pass, OR and turned west to the coast. It was hot and dry, 102. There had been several fires north of there and it was smoky. It was 90 miles to Crescent City, CA. The temp. when we arrived there was 54. It was cool and foggy, and yet no front had passed, just the coastal micro-climate. This morning we went to Redwoods Nat. Park. The trees are stunning. Some were over 300 feet tall and 1500 years old. We hiked some and saw a heard of elk. Tomorrow we'll drive through the Napa Valley to Yosemite, so we'll be out of internet contact for a few days.
Post a Comment